Welcome all, to a new blog series: ‘Author Spotlight’ will feature short interviews with our wonderful Insignia Series contributors.
We are all passionate, cross-genre writers who love Asia and Asian cultures. Get to know us a little better through our Answers to 25 Questions challenge!
Ray Daley was born in Coventry & still lives there. He served 6 years in the RAF as a clerk & spent most of his time in a Hobbit hole in High Wycombe. He is a published poet & has been writing stories since he was 10. His current dream is to eventually finish the Hitch Hikers fanfic novel he’s been writing since 1986.
TWENTY FIVE QUESTIONS:
- Author Name/s: Ray Daley
- Years active as a writer: Ever? 40. Selling stuff? 5.
- What genre/s you write: SF, Horror & Fantasy. Literally anything if the mood takes me.
- Favorite genre to write: SF.
- Favorite length of story to write: Short. I’m lazy.
- Your nationality: British. Half Welsh, half English.
- Country you live in: The United Kingdom
- Number of Asian countries visited: None at all.
- Favorite Asian country (visited): N/A
- Favorite place in Asia (visited): N/A
- Place (city or country) you most want to visit in Asia: I’d love to go to Japan.
- Favorite Asian cuisine: I couldn’t pick just one.
- Favorite Asian dish: Thai Green Curry.
- Favorite Asian movie (any genre): Battle Royale. It’s awesome!
- Favorite Asian book (any genre): The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin.
- Favorite Asian celebrity: Ming-Na Wen.
- Best thing about being a writer: I get to sleep when I want.
- Worst thing about being a writer: Not enough money!
- Day writer or night writer: Mostly night. I blame the RAF, I used to work in a bunker.
- Drink and snack of choice (while writing): Any cold drink. Ginger biscuits.
- Number of short stories/poems submitted each month (av): Maybe 10-20? It varies a lot, depending on what’s open.
- I dream to be published with/in (publisher/publication): F&SF or Clarkesworld.
- Most active on (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram): Twitter.
- Self-published, traditionally published, or both: Traditionally.
- Currently working on: Not dying of heatstroke. Oh, you meant writing? A story inspired by a terrible Paul Newman movie.
Ray Daley’s Stories in The Insignia Series Anthologies:
‘Uncle Ping’s Farewell’ (Insignia: Asian Science Fiction, July 2018)
‘How Have the Mighty Fallen?’ (Insignia: Asian Flash Fiction & Poetry, July 2019)
NEW STORY OUT AUG 14!
Read Ray’s latest dark fantasy publication,
‘The Parting’, over at
Thanks for joining us!
We’ll have more author interviews coming soon 🙂
Leave a Reply