It’s been a little while since we shared an author interview, and with the release of Southeast Asian Fantasy Drabbles this week, it’s the perfect time to meet some our SEA contributors!
Celestine Trinidad has been an Insignia contributor since the early days, with her story ‘Horse Feet’ featured in Southeast Asian Fantasy. She also has a YA story, ‘Shadows’ in this year’s Insignia 2020: Best Asian Speculative Fiction, and a poem published with our Instincts online series.
Celestine is one of many Filipino contributors in Southeast Asian Fantasy Drabbles; her piece ‘Sole Witness’ features the same characters from ‘Horse Feet’ and is a great addition to the collection.
- Author Name/s: Celestine Trinidad
- Years active as a writer: 13
- What genre/s you write: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, Romance, Crime, Young Adult, Children’s
- Favorite genre to write: Fantasy
- Favorite length of story to write: 7500+
- Your nationality: Filipino
- Country you live in: Philippines
- Number of Asian countries visited: 4
- Favorite Asian country (visited): Japan
- Favorite place in Asia (visited): Tokyo
- Place (city or country) you most want to visit in Asia: Taiwan
- Favorite Asian cuisine: Japanese
- Favorite Asian dish: Sushi
- Favorite Asian movie (any genre): Last watched that I really enjoyed was Alive starring Yoo Ah-yin and Park Shin-hye
- Favorite Asian book (any genre): Salvation of a Saint by Higashino Keigo (or honestly any book by this author)
- Favorite Asian celebrity: Current favorite actor – Ju Ji-hoon, current favorite band – Ben & Ben
- Best thing about being a writer: You can reach a lot of people with your stories, and hopefully through your writing you can give them hope, encourage them to keep going.
- Worst thing about being a writer: Sometimes you just want to be done with a story/book, but there’s still so much work to be done before you can get to the end, huhu.
- Day writer or night writer: Night (or early early morning, sometimes)
- Drink and snack of choice (while writing): Tea (coffee when I really need to stay awake) and chips
- Number of short stories/poems submitted each month (av): 1-2
- I dream to be published with/in (publisher/publication): Tor (one can dream, right?)
- Most active on (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram): Twitter (@luckychan)
- Self-published, traditionally published, or both: Both
- Currently working on: A paranormal romance novel based on Philippine folklore (which may turn into a trilogy, if I ever get around to finishing it haha)
Celestine Trinidad is a licensed physician (particularly, a pathologist) based in the Philippines. In her spare time, she writes speculative fiction and children’s short stories. Some of her other stories have been published in other print and online venues, such as The Digest of Philippine Genre Stories, Alternative Alamat, and the Southeast Asian Fantasy volume of Insignia.
Read more about Celestine Trinidad at Insignia Stories:
Southeast Asian Fantasy Drabbles is OUT NOW!
Universal Link: https://books2read.com/insignia-seafd