Welcome to Week 2 of Horror Matsuri!
Our Author Spotlight this week introduces Malaysian writer, Deborah Wong. Deborah is a new Insignia contributor this year, with her drabble ‘Confession of a Part-time Stalker’ in Southeast Asian Fantasy Drabbles, and a story featuring here on the Insignia blog this Friday (October 9th) for Horror Matsuri titled, ‘House #197, Argyll Road’. It’s creepy, I’m warning you…don’t miss it!
Deborah Wong graduated from the University of London with a Bachelor of Laws, and attended the summer intensive creative writing workshop at the University of British Columbia. Her work has appeared in local and international magazines and journals, including Liquid Imagination, Strange Horizons, Frozen Wavelets, Blood Bath Literary Zine, Eye to The Telescope, The 2020 Rhysling Anthology and forthcoming in Australian based Twisted Moon Magazine.
- Author Name/s: Deborah Wong
- Years active as a writer: 2013 (but I started writing fan fiction in 2003)
- What genre/s you write: Poetry, Dark Fantasy, Horror, and Slipstream
- Favorite genre to write: Poetry and Dark Fantasy/Horror
- Favorite length of story to write: 5,000
- Your nationality: Malaysian
- Country you live in: Malaysia
- Place (city or country) you most want to visit in Asia: Hong Kong
- Favorite Asian cuisine: Fusion Chinese
- Favorite Asian dish: Char Kuey Teow (stir-fried flat rice noodles)
- Favorite Asian movie (any genre): All’s Well, Ends Well 1992 (HK comedy-romance)
- Favorite Asian book (any genre): The Life of a Banana by P. P. Wong
- Favorite Asian celebrity: Daniel Wu
- Best thing about being a writer: Worldbuilding and characters development
- Worst thing about being a writer: Rejection replies from editors
- Day writer or night writer: Day writer
- Drink and snack of choice (while writing): Drinking Malaysian white coffee only
- I dream to be published with/in (publisher/publication): Penguin Random House
- Most active on (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram): Twitter (@PetiteDeborah)
- Currently working on: A Sci-fi fantasy about surviving the radiation aftermath
Southeast Asian Fantasy Drabbles is OUT NOW!
Universal Link: https://books2read.com/insignia-seafd
And Horror Matsuri continues until OCT 31st!