It is my great pleasure to introduce you to Fusako Ohki, an up-and-coming Japanese writer of fantasy and horror. She has three drabbles (originally titled, respectively, “Kappa,” “Nekomata,” and “Shuten-dōji”) in the forthcoming Mythical Creatures of Asia anthology. Poised to make a literary splash in 2021 with her as-yet-untitled collection, she is a writer to watch out for. Welcome on board, Fusako!
Fusako Ohki is a Japanese writer from Tokyo. She obtained her master’s degree in Japanese literature from Hosei University. Her debut collection of short fiction is forthcoming in 2021. Find her at https://twitter.com/suruse10ver.
- Author Name/s: Fusako Ohki (大木芙沙子)
- Years active as a writer: Three years (since 2019)
- What genre/s you write: literary fiction, SFFH, kaidan
- Favorite genre to write: literary fiction, fantasy
- Favorite length of story to write: 2,000-8,000 Japanese characters
- Your nationality: Japanese
- Country you live in: Japan
- Number of Asian countries visited: Four
- Favorite Asian country (visited): Vietnam
- Favorite place in Asia (visited): Ho Chi Minh City
- Place (city or country) you most want to visit in Asia: Taiwan, Mongolia
- Favorite Asian cuisine: Korean, Indian
- Favorite Asian dish: Sushi, gyoza, curry
- Favorite Asian movie (any genre): Wong Kar-wai’s In the Mood For Love, Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away
- Favorite Asian book (any genre): So difficult to pick just one. I’ve read every single book by Yoko Ogawa.
- Favorite Asian celebrity: Tony Leung Chiu-wai
- Best thing about being a writer: Receiving feedback from readers. Taking inspiration from various sources.
- Worst thing about being a writer: I can’t think of any.
- Day writer or night writer: This varies depending on what I’m writing.
- Drink and snack of choice (while writing): Coffee during the day. Beer and wine on some nights. I don’t eat while writing because I want to keep my keyboard clean.
More stories (online) by Fusako Ohki
Toshiya Kamei’s translation of ‘Neighs and Cries’: https://newworldwriting.net/fusako-ohki-neighs-and-cries/
Fusako reading the Japanese original: https://youtu.be/9Nm5k3W7BjE
Fusako Ohki and Toshiya Kamei will be featured in the upcoming Mythical Creatures of Asia drabbles anthology, along with Umiyuri Katsuyama, Yuki Fuwa, and many other talented women SFF writers. Coming April 2021!.
Continue reading Insignia’s Women in Horror Month series here.