Today’s Author Spotlight is presented by regular contributor and translator, Toshiya Kamei.
I take great pleasure in introducing to you one of the brightest up-and-coming Japanese writers. Originally from Osaka, Yuki Fuwa later moved to Tokyo and studied Chinese literature at Waseda University. Her favorite writers include Shinichi Hoshi (1926-1998, a master of short shorts) and Ryōtarō Shiba (1923-1996, a popular writer of historical fiction). Historical events, ancient literature, and contemporary issues serve as sources of Yuki’s inspiration.
In February 2021, Yuki made her debut in English with her microfiction “So Eagerly Awaiting” (read). She has work in the newly released Mythical Creatures of Asia (links below) and Hundred Word Horror: Cosmos. Anglophone readers can expect more stories from her in the near future.
- Author Name/s: Yuki Fuwa
- Years active as a writer: Three years
- What genre/s you write: SF, historical fiction
- Favorite genre to write: SF, historical fiction
- Favorite length of story to write: Short fiction
- Your nationality: Japanese
- Country you live in: Japan (Kobe)
- Number of Asian countries visited: 3（China, Taiwan, and Cambodia）
- Favorite Asian country (visited): Taiwan
- Favorite place in Asia (visited): Hangzhou. When I was studying there, I frequently strolled around West Lake. You can enjoy the scenery as it changes through the seasons.
- Place (city or country) you most want to visit in Asia: Thailand
- Favorite Asian cuisine: Chinese
- Favorite Asian dish: Xiaolongbao
- Favorite Asian movie (any genre): The Old Barber by Chinese-Mongolian director Hasi Chaolu
- Favorite Asian book (any genre): Big River, Big Sea: Untold Stories of 1949 by Lung Ying-tai
- Favorite Asian celebrity: Manga artist Yūsei Matsui
- Best thing about being a writer: I love it when the first sentence of a story flashes through my mind.
- Worst thing about being a writer: There’s a whole lot to learn about subjects such as science and history.
- Day writer or night writer: Day writer
- Drink and snack of choice (while writing): Coffee
- Number of short stories/poems submitted each month (av): 3
- I dream to be published with/in (publisher/publication): I want to work with publishers around the world.
- Most active on (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram): I’m not on social media.
- Self-published, traditionally published, or both: Published by small presses.
- Currently working on: I’m writing Sci-Fi stories to send to various contests.