Kelly Matsuura grew up in Victoria, Australia, but always dreamed she would live abroad. She has lived in China, the USA, and she now lives permanently in Nagoya, Japan.
Kelly’s stories have been published by Harbinger Press, Black Hare Press, A Murder of Storytellers, Ink and Locket Press, and many more. She also publishes her own short story collections, The Natura Series.
As the creator and editor for Insignia Stories, Kelly promotes Asian speculative fiction from writers around the globe, and publishes small ebook anthologies with various Asian fantasy themes.
Kelly’s blog/website: www.blackwingsandwhitepaper.com
Facebook: Kelly Matsuura-Author
Twitter: Kelly Matsuura
Stories included in The Insignia Series anthologies:
‘Moon Shadow’ and ‘The Waiting World’ (Insignia: Japanese Fantasy Stories)
‘The Great Qilin’ and ‘The Ghost Bride’ (Insignia: Chinese Fantasy Stories)
‘Never Seen’ (Insignia: Southeast Asian Fantasy)
‘Ribbons & Bones’ (Insignia: Asian Fantasy Stories)
‘Apsaras’ Dance’ (Insignia: Asian Birds & Beasts)
‘Stay Silent’ (Insignia: Asian Flash Fiction & Poetry)
Work included in the Insignia Drabbles anthologies:
INSTINCTS Poetry (online)
Other posts on this blog:
- Author Name/s: Kelly Matsuura & Kelly Noro (romance, 18+)
- Years active as a writer: 8
- What genre/s you write: mostly fantasy, some scifi and literature.
- Favorite genre to write: YA fantasy
- Favorite length of story to write: short story length (1500-7500).
- Your nationality: Australian
- Country you live in: Japan
- Number of Asian countries visited: 6
- Favorite Asian country (visited): Japan, of course 😊
- Favorite place in Asia (visited): Terracotta Warriors in Xian, China. Incredible!
- Place (city or country) you most want to visit in Asia: Angkor Wat, Cambodia
- Favorite Asian cuisine: Indian
- Favorite Asian dish: Really hard to say…but, Okonomiyaki (Japanese).
- Favorite Asian movie (any genre): Raise the Red Lantern (Chinese). My dream is to see the ballet version!
- Favorite Asian book (any genre): A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth.
- Favorite Asian celebrity: Li Lianjie aka Jet Li
- Best thing about being a writer: Always having something to do and new things to try. There are always short story markets open, or you can make your own projects, etc. And you can be as busy as you want to be with it.
- Worst thing about being a writer: Having to give up on a story that you love but can’t get right.
- Day writer or night writer: Night. I write better when all my housework and other jobs are over for the day.
- Drink/snack of choice (while writing): Endless cups of tea! No snacks at the computer.
- Number of short stories/poems submitted each month (av): 2-3 per month.
- I dream to be published with/in (publisher/publication): Daily Science Fiction (flash stories), and Harlequin for paranormal romance.
- Most active on (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram): Facebook.
- Self-published, traditionally published, or both: Both.
- Currently working on: editing a paranormal romance (as Kelly Noro) and I’m putting together some dark fantasy stories of mine for a new ebook.